If you are a homeowner, one of the most important decisions you will make is what type of driveway to install. A concrete driveway is a popular option because it is durable and easy to maintain. Here are some tips for installing a new concrete driveway:
1. Choose the right location for your driveway. The driveway should be located in an area that is flat and has good drainage.
2. Excavate the area where the driveway will be installed. This can be done with a shovel or a mechanical excavator. Be sure to remove any rocks or other obstructions from the area.
3. Compact the soil in the excavation area. This can be done with a hand tamper or a compacting machine.
4. Pour gravel into the excavation area before pouring concrete in order to reduce cracking.
5. Use stakes with strings attached to outline where the driveway will be placed. Make sure to place them away from corners so you can easily make turns when needed, or change your mind about placement later on.
6. Place construction re-enforcing mesh over the entire area of the driveway slab and secure it in place with wire ties. Then pour a layer of concrete on top of the mesh. This is designed to strengthen the entire drive region for years of heavy use.
7. Allow at least one day for concrete curing time after placing it before covering it up with dirt or gravel again, otherwise, rainwater may wash out chunks of undesirable concrete.
8. Enjoy your new driveway for years to come!